Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, is a wonderful weekly meme where we can highlight books we are are looking forward to seeing published.  It's also a great way to discover books we didn't know about, and a great way to visit other blogs and see what other people are writing about.  As I don't have a lot of time to really blog and post a lot of other things on my blog at the moment, it is great to be able to have a moment to see what great things other people are doing and creating. 

My water heater blew on me the other day, so we are without hot water and after two days of taking icy cold showers, I think I could kiss the Direct Energy guy when he finally shows up tonight to fix whatever is wrong with the tank.  I, of course, know absolute nothing about these things, and am afraid to touch it in case I blow up my house.  That would not be good, you know?  But I am so desperate for a hot shower.....      And naturally, my kind and loving hubby thought it was funny to watch me scream in the shower this morning every time I had to rinse off...anyone know of anyone who does quickie divorces (LOL)?  HE got to take a hot shower at work after his workout while I had to suffer. 

Because of all this drama, my mood for books is tending more towards the dark and mystical this week.  Books about war and drama seem to fit my mood perfectly; I guess if I am suffering, I want everyone else to suffer as well.   And it's raining finally as well (I love the rain, so that's okay.)  So here is my pick for this week:


The Black Prism (Black Prism Series, Book 1)
by Brent Weeks
Release Date: August 25, 2010

The world attempts to heal in the aftermath of a savage war, which took place sixteen years ago.  Now all is ordered and controlled by the world's only magic school, the Chromeria, which keeps a tight political reign on all nations through its acolytes' highly-sought abilities.  By manipulating the colour spectrum, these gifted individuals gain access to great power, and the head of the Chromeria is the most powerful of his generation.  Supposedly.  Yet Gavin is living a lie, and those closest to him are near to discovering his secret, while another long-dormant issue is about to become critical.  Gavin defeated his malevolent twin Jarven at the height of the last war but Jarven's prison won't hold him for much longer.  Balance is vital in a world where magic controls all from the weather, to the harvest, to war.  Now that balance is about to change.

I am thrilled to see a new series being released by this author.  I had already started his Night Angel Trilogy, but reluctantly had to put it aside in favour of some review books I needed to read, but believe me, along with Richelle Mead's books, these are on the top of my TBR pile.  

What did you find this week?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any by this author, but it does look intriguing.

    Our pick is at BookSake.
    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Malevolent twin" and that cover? I have to check this one out! Great pick!

    I'm waiting on The Iron Thorn here.

    Happy reading. :)

    xx,
    E.J.
    From the Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, the cover reminds me of the lead actor (his name eludes me for the moment) from The Lord of the Rings. And I had a slight crush on him (blush, blush)so maybe that's why I want to read the book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How come I haven't heard of this series! So going on my must read list---!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, dark and mythical. I like!

    My pick is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any books by Brent Weeks yet, but I am intrigued by the sound of this one. Control over the color spectrum sounds like an interesting concept. Hope you enjoy the Richelle Mead books awaiting you in your TBR pile. I just finished Richelle Mead's Spirit Bound, and all I can say is WOW! Can't wait to read the next VA book in December!

    Sorry to hear about your water heater woes. We just replaced a leaking water heater a few weeks ago, so I totally feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete